This is the culture main page. Ideas broken down below.
Distance from real world cultures
The main question here is how far to push the characters. Were they once human beings? Is this earth's history pushed centuries forward? Or is this a completely different time and place with completely different biologies?
- Clear visual break from RW cultures
- Easier suspension of disbelief when confronted with unexpected behaviors
- Too easy for audience to disassociate
- Involves increased work on character design
- Still use humans
- Eerie twists on extant cultural cues
- Requires a starting premise -- i.e., what if the Romans colonised the Americas? (Premise never has to be open)